Monday, August 20, 2012

FOR SEAN HAYES, PARENTHOOD PROVIDES PERSPECTIVE FOR SONGWRITING, ELUCIDATES TITLE TRACK OF POIGNANT NEW ALBUM 'BEFORE WE TURN TO DUST'

Sean Hayes recently reflected on the effects of parenthood on the title track of his new album 'Before We Turn To Dust' (September 11), which was recently added to WFUV's playlist. He said, "For five or six years, every so often I would pick up my guitar and start singing the line 'You may spend all your money before you turn to dust/But you will never spend all your love.' That's as far as I would get with the song. An image of a child would come to mind but I was not ready to tackle any verses until recently when my son was born.

Becoming a father, I understood the line from a new perspective and finally the first verse came: 'My little boy is smiling, soon he'll be sitting up/Holding his own weight grabbing for you.' I wanted to remind myself, through song, that no matter how hard or stressful being a parent and provider would be, I would always have the most important gift to give: my love."

No comments:

Post a Comment