Tuesday, August 14, 2012

IN PAYING TRIBUTE TO NICK LOWE, RON SEXSMITH RETURNS FAVOR

SEXSMITH ON LOWE: "I'M PROUD TO KNOW HIM"

Ron Sexsmith – whose song "Secret Heart" Nick Lowe has covered – recorded his version of Lowe's "Where's My Everything" for the new project 'Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe' (September 18 / Fiesta Red).

"That's a song that I was playing even before I met Nick. The first time that we toured together, I asked if he was going to play it, and he said no. So I played it during my set. It's a song that I know like the back of my hand, a great song." He recorded a stripped down version of the song, highlighting the stark vulnerability within.

He recalls hearing Lowe's voice singing his song: "I first heard his version of 'Secret Heart' on cassette. I was trying to write a Buddy Holly song. It was such an honor for me."

Sexsmith was a Lowe fan well before he met him. "He writes very well constructed songs, very melodic. And he's an underrated lyricist. He's got a great sense of humor in his lyrics. He's a great singer, too. His voice is like fine wine. I just love everything about it."

"He's a perfect gentleman. He's thoughtful and funny, everything that you like about English people. I’m really proud to know him."

'Lowe Country: The Songs of Nick Lowe' also includes Lowe songs interpreted by Hayes Carll, Caitlin Rose, JEFF The Brotherhood, Amanda Shires, Robert Ellis, and others.

Lowe's version of "Secret Heart" is available on the import 'Anthology.'

On the Lowe / Sexsmith double-billed tour, they would also duet every night on "My Baby's Gone," a classic Louvin Brothers song.

No comments:

Post a Comment