Thursday, September 18, 2014

TIM DUFFY LAUNCHES TOUR AS HARDCOVER BOOK “WE ARE THE MUSIC MAKERS” IS OUT THIS WEEK ON NAUTILUS PRESS

Music Maker Relief Foundation founder and head Tim Duffy will tour with his new book We Are The Music Makers! Preserving the Soul of America's Music, out this week on Nautilus Press. The book consists of 144 pages, featuring the stories of little known southern roots musicians and Duffy’s own photography. This book was released as a celebration of the non-profit organization’s twentieth anniversary.

Duffy said, “I have learned to see the world I live in, as it is, that is my point of view. I strive to see through my own eyes not the memory of what others have seen. I do not venture out of my own community of musicians I have worked with over the last 30 years. I am very uncomfortable photographing people that I do not know. Combining my greatest passions of folk musicians and photography has been a trail I have never veered. Knowing this world inside out from years of association helps me give the photographs a greater originality and authority and the "feel" of which you cannot convey without the lack of knowledge. I let the intimate knowledge I have the Music Maker artists, speak for itself."

Select stops on the tour will feature Music Maker artists:

+ John Dee Holeman – This NEA National Heritage Fellowship award
winner has recorded with Taj Mahal.

+ Little Freddie King – This multiple New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Fest
and Ponderosa Stomp veteran is one of New Orleans’ reigning bluesmen.

+ Alabama Slim grew up playing in juke joints in Alabama and moved to
New Orleans in the ‘60s.

+ Major Handy is a Zydeco musician and blues accordion player who was
born in 1947 in Lafayette, Louisiana. His past gigs include playing
guitar with Rockin’ Dopsie’s band for 12 years and with Buckwheat
Zydeco’s original lineup for about a year.

September 19 - The Regulator, Durham, NC (w/ music by John Dee Holeman)
September 24 - Burwell School, Hillsborough, NC, (w/ music by John Dee Holeman)
September 30 - Quail Ridge Books & Music, Raleigh, NC (w/ music by
John Dee Holeman)
October 13 - Square Books, Oxford, MS
October 14 - Otherlands Coffee Bar, Memphis, TN
October 15 - Lemuria Books, Jackson, MS
October 16 - Maple Street Books, New Orleans, LA (w/ music
from Little Freddie King and Alabama Slim)
October 17 - Garden District Books, New Orleans, LA (w/ music from Major Handy)
October 18 - Louisiana Music Factory Tent at Crescent City Blues and
BBQ Festival, New Orleans, LA

Recent events have included a museum exhibition, Lincoln Center performance. The new 2CD set ‘We are the Music Makers’ comes out September 30. The New Yorker recently ran a playlist of Taj Mahal’s favorite songs from the Msuic Maker catalogue.

Barry Mazor’s feature on Music Maker Relief Foundation ran last month in the Wall Street Journal.

No comments:

Post a Comment