Tuesday, August 25, 2015

JIMI HENDRIX SAT IN WITH “LEGENDARY” (BILLBOARD) IRONING BOARD SAM & LATTER UPPED HIS SHOWMANSHIP

NEW BIG LEGAL MESS ALBUM ‘SUPER SPIRIT’ ARRIVES OCT 2 AFTER NEWPORT
FOLK & JAZZFEST SETS

The “legendary” (Billboard) Ironing Board Sam decided to up his stage
game after Jimi Hendrix sat in with him. Sam recalled, “We used to
play shows together; you know, he made my show greater than his show.
He had a nine piece band playin’ downstairs, and he heard me and my
drummer playing upstairs; I was playing the button board, and I had it
so I could sit down behind it and play it like a big organ. All the
other musicians would come listen to us when the finished their sets,
and then one night I noticed the crowd got extra, extra hot. I looked
over my left shoulder--on my left they had a jukebox, like an old-time
jukebox about six feet tall--and Jimi was on top of the jukebox
playing his guitar behind his head. He sort of had to crouch because
of the ceiling, but I said oh my, he’s making my show better than his.
After I saw that, I knew I had to do something else so I started
carrying my button board into the crowd so I could get some attention
back on my show! That really started a trend for me, because nobody
was carrying their keyboard into the audience then.”

Produced by Bruce Watson and Jimbo Mathus, ‘Super Spirit’ (October 2 /
Big Legal Mess) presents interpretations of songs associated with the
Gories, Jack Oblivion, Ann Peebles, along with other handpicked gems.
Sam earned standing ovations earlier this year at Newport Folk
Festival and the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Hear “Baby You
Got It" here (postable and embeddable).

No comments:

Post a Comment